About the Everyday52™ Cards
HOLD THE ANSWER TO YOUR WELL-BEING IN YOUR HANDS!Everyday52™ is a simple deck of cards. Each of the 52 cards is a guide for practicing something about your life a week at a time. When you play with the specific practice throughout your week, you may discover:
- Life will be better because it feels better.
- You’ll feel more peaceful as you go about your day, even in difficult times.
- You’ll learn to treat yourself with compassion and respect. No more nitpicking and beating yourself up over every little thing.
- No more feeling so overwhelmed. As your well-being grows through self-care, it will feel as though things are easier to manage.
- Gratitude feels great.
- Less feelings of stress and anxiety—these energy drains simply cannot maintain their grip on your day once you master your self-care.
- You’ll be more available for your relationships at home and at work.
- There’s more room in your life for ease, gratitude, and grace.
- There are loads of simple things, actions and thoughts to support your unique experience of well-being.
Do You Long to be Unshakably Okay?
Yes, it’s true! Happiness is a wonderful feeling. But consistent well-being is even better! While happiness comes and goes, self-care creates the foundation for being unshakably okay. Practicing self-care makes it possible to feel unshakably okay no matter what is going on in your life. Read my blog about this.
FROM THE OUTSIDE YOUR LIFE MAY LOOK LIKE…
You are strong
You have a great job
You make good money
You have great kids
You’re in a happy relationship
BUT ON THE INSIDE…
Stress and anxiety have a tight grip on your life
Overwhelm makes it hard to focus on even the smallest tasks
Sadness dulls the way you see your world
Insecurity gets in the way of loving who you are
Shame makes you want to hide
Back in the spring of 2013, discontentment had a crushing hold on my life. Everyday feelings of sadness, loneliness, and fear were the rule for me (instead of the exception).
I was in constant pain from a cycling injury the year before. My best friend was battling breast cancer. Being a single mom of a teenage son was anything but easy (and I was about to be an empty-nester). My heart even did a wacky supraventricular tachycardia thing that scared the heck out of me.
Things felt pretty rough. I struggled every day to keep it all together.
The hardest part was getting up every morning and trying to convince myself that I shouldn’t feel so miserable because my life was mostly good. Or so it looked from the outside. I had a great job teaching at Naropa University in Boulder, Colorado. I had a successful private psychotherapy practice with plenty of clients. I had incredible friends and a family nearby that showered me with love.
Underneath all of it, however, I was lonely, frightened, overwhelmed, and heartbroken. It was hard to imagine that I would ever feel good again.
And still, I longed to be unshakably okay despite what was going on in my life. I wondered if it was possible to feel all my feelings (even the ones that didn’t feel so great to have) and still be ok. As my discontentment became more and more unbearable, this longing inside of me grew ever stronger. It became so strong that I simply couldn’t stand to lose another day to feeling miserable.
So, I set about examining my life as I looked for a way to rid myself of discontentment. I expected the answers to be complicated.
I discovered quite the opposite. And the Everyday52™ cards are the result!
I shifted my attention to the seemingly insignificant and the ordinary actions of my days and I became intentional with the little things. Very simply, how I lived my everyday life transformed my everyday life as I practiced doing something intentional each week.
Along the way, I found the places in my life where I wasn’t paying enough (or hardly any) attention, and I paid attention. I discovered that by practicing self-care I was able to create a state of well-being and it is the state of well-being that made feeling all my feelings much less of a big deal. I discovered the extraordinary in my everyday!
Many people don’t do anything about feeling discontentment until some major life event occurs that forces them to examine their lives.
It doesn’t have to be this way for you.
The good news – it is possible, and actually quite simple, for you to experience true well-being in your everyday, too.
(And a little more good news – my back pain has eased, my best friend is a survivor, my youngest has now graduated university, and my heart is good!)
52 Simple Practices = Extraordinary Results
Why the Dragonfly?
- A bunch of dragonflies is called a flight.
- Each of their wings operate independently, which makes it possible for them to hover or change directions and fly backwards or sideways.
- Their life is short (only a few months), symbolic of living in the moment and living life to the fullest.
- The dragonfly represents transformation and life’s ongoing process of change.